MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

DirectX vs. OpenGL & monitor refresh rates...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Information/Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rekrul

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject: DirectX vs. OpenGL & monitor refresh rates... Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that this isn't a Magic Engine issue, but I'm hoping someone here might know what's going on.

I have a slightly older system which is still running Windows 98SE. Can we please skip the inevitable parade of people telling me that I need to upgrade? Thanks.

Anyway, I just tried out the latest version of Magic Engine and I noticed something annoying that I've seen happen with other programs.

I'm using a Trinitron CRT monitor and I have an Nvidia GeForce4 MX440 video card with the last drivers that support 98. In the advanced screen properties, I have the refresh rate set to Optimal, rather than Adapter Default. According to my monitor's OSD, the current refresh rate is 81.2kHz / 100Hz. The display appears 100% flicker-free to me. If I select Adapter Default, the refresh rate changes to 48.3kHz / 60Hz, the display shrinks and there's a slight, but noticeable flicker.

What does this have to do with ME you ask?

My desktop is set to 1024x768x32. When I select this same mode in ME using DirectX mode, ME simply opens. The monitor doesn't re-sync, the refresh rate doesn't change etc. If I select OpenGL, it changes the refresh rate to the same as Adapter Default, and doesn't change it back when I exit the program.

The strange thing is that when I go into the advanced screen properties, the Adapter tab is still showing the refresh rate as Optimal, even though you can clearly see that it isn't. I have to select Adapter Default, click Apply, which tricks the system into thinking I've just switched to that mode, and then tell it don't want to keep the change, so that it switches back to Optimal.

I've had other programs do this as well, and it's really annoying. Is there something about OpenGL that automatically causes the refresh rate to be lowered? Or is it just another bug in the NVidia drivers?
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenGL/Direct3D refresh rates can be very unfriendly on some card/driver combinations. You might want to give a try to RefreshLock.
Rekrul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaminari wrote:
OpenGL/Direct3D refresh rates can be very unfriendly on some card/driver combinations. You might want to give a try to RefreshLock.

Unfortunately, RefreshLock doesn't seem to work for me.

When I run it, the detected frequencies column says it can't auto-detect on this OS. The dropdown box above the window, for setting the desired refresh rate only has 0 in it. The "instruct" file makes mention of 9x users having to manually set the frequencies, but doesn't explain how to actually do that. The INI file is mostly empty, so they can't be set in there.

The FAQ says you should be using the manufacturer's drivers, so I went and tracked down the "driver" for this one (I brought it home during bulk trash pickup, works great), which were basically just a bunch of color profiles, and installed it, even though Windows would already let me select up to 1600x1200. No change.

And of course, just switching RefreshLock On, didn't do anything.
Chris
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm using Win98SE myself too and i had a similar peoblem, just try ReForce http://www.filefront.com/9323751/reForce/

or PowerStrip
http://www.entechtaiwan.com/ps.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Information/Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: