MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

I've never been able to get CDs to work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Information/Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyborg Ninja
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: I've never been able to get CDs to work Reply with quote

I've tried with a few different CD-based games, and they've never worked for me. Right now I'm trying to load J.B. Harold Murder Club. I have a small cue file at 500+ bytes and an iso file at around 450MB. One seems to be an audio file with 1 cda track and that's it, I imagine the cue file.

I have tried mounting either file with Daemon Tools to a virtual drive and then choosing 'boot cd' from Magic Engine. This does not seem to work.

My PCE config file shows this in the code:
# ----
# cd-rom settings
# ----
#

[cdrom]

;
; CD-ROM drive
; --
; 1 -> first CD-ROM drive [default]
; 2 -> second CD-ROM drive
; ...
;

drive=

;
; CD-ROM drive letter
; --
; (Windows 2000/XP only)
;
; D:
; E:
; ...
;

drive_letter=

I don't know if that's a problem because I've tried the F and G virtual drives to mount the iso and cue. I read another topic here and someone suggested reading the readme file, yet the readme file only contains update information and bug fixes. I'd appreciate help.
Jason_Tremblay
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Sigh* Rolling Eyes

Are you trying to load from a standard CD Rom drive or what? I found some drives do not have the ability to read *sub-channel* data. A common example of this is a plain old generic drives. Other drives I have been able to get discs to read only if SPTI drivers are installed. I think a program called CD Burner XP installs these by default. ASPI is not reccomended on XP unless you have a really good reason to force it to install which you will run into stability problems.
Cyborg Ninja
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, you should probably be rolling your eyes at yourself. It's rather clear I had tried a virtual drive (along with loading the file directly to MagicEngine), isn't it? It seems you don't know what "mounting" or "virtual drive" mean.
bernielindell
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first make sure your image is correct. Looks like you have a WAVE/ISO/CUE. Thats good. If they are mp3, thats the issue. Convert them to WAVE. Mount the CUE file in your virtual drive. I use daemon tools, and it works perfectly. If you have any issues, PM me.
Tru
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cda track is normal for turbo/pce cd games, it is because it is mixed mode...

There are a couple of ways to try and fix this... the first way is to mount the cd image and then open ME... when you go to "boot cd" the image should be listed as a cd able to load... if not, then try option 2...

option 2 is to go into your pce.ini file and where it says:

[cdrom]

;
; CD-ROM drive
; --
; 1 -> first CD-ROM drive [default]
; 2 -> second CD-ROM drive

change it to:

[cdrom]

;
; CD-ROM drive
; --
; 1 -> first CD-ROM drive
; 2 -> second CD-ROM drive [default]

that will make your virtual drive the main drive for ME when trying to boot a cd game... of course, this is assuming that you only have 1 real drive and 1 virtual drive... and it doesn't hurt to leave the system card option set to AUTO either...
Count_Zero
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the exact same problem, but unfortunately Tru's fix didn't work for me.

I'm running Windows 7 Professional, and have tried running Magic Engine as Administrator, but that didn't fix the problem. Neither did running in compatibility mode.

The game I'm trying to run is Might and Magic III (US).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Information/Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: