MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

How do I find cheats for unknown values in games?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skwatta

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: How do I find cheats for unknown values in games? Reply with quote

I've read the sticky on how to find cheats for things like a game timer or your health when you can see what the number is, but how do I find cheats for say, the health bar in a game like Valis III?
All there is is a long sword for your health.

Any help?

Thanks!!
PhotoGuy
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet is to guess. Educated guessing, anyway. I haven't tried Valis III yet, but the only way I've found the offset for unknown values is to use guesswork to find it. Here's the educated part: In Valis III, a large heart restores 16HP. Run your health down, get the heart, and estimate how much it fills up. Many games that use health meters instead of just numbers have the same values. Multiples of 8 or 16 are the most common. So, in Valis 3, if a large heart restores roughly a quarter of your health, the value for a full health bar is probably 64. 255 is another common max value for video games. I haven't had a chance to play with the hex editor in Magic Engine yet, but that idea worked out well with both NES and SNES hex editing.
skwatta

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, I found the Invincibility cheat code for FINAL ZONE II.

Turns out that even though the Health Bar was half of what it should have been in total,
It was still 64 just as you said it might be.

TIME TO BEAT THIS GAME! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Cheats All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: