MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

ME1.0 doesn't work at all for me. :(

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Bug/Problem Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M1Savage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject: ME1.0 doesn't work at all for me. :( Reply with quote

When i try to start it I get -

Initialization error: 1

Here's my log file -

[INPUT INIT]
opening direct input DLL... could not open the DLL!

400P2, Windows ME
All previous versions still work fine for me.
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure your DirectX drivers are up-to-date.
M1Savage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea. I just recently ressurected this computer and had forgotten to do that. Bad news is, I just downloaded the latest available DirectX and checked my other drivers and now ME1 just either hangs (does nothing but black screen) or causes a windows error (blue screen). Still looking into it.......
InsaneDavid
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M1Savage wrote:
now ME1 just either hangs (does nothing but black screen) or causes a windows error (blue screen). Still looking into it.......

Same here, v0.9.8 runs fine but v1.0 PR doesn't even load. Brick wall I just downloaded the most recent DirectX drivers and still no luck. I start MagicEngine, it starts to load up, and then I get nothing but a black screen with the mouse pointer, however it has shifted over into the MagicEngine resolution. Everything is locked at this point and I must reset my system via the external reset button. The log file is BLANK so I suppose Magic Engine v1.0 is locking up during it's initialization, Think again v0.9.8 works fine. All drivers are up to date.

System:
Windows 98 SE
Athlon 900MHz
Matrox Millenium G200 AGP (never found a better card for 2D emulators)

At this rate I think I'll just stick with v0.9.8 Whistle
Tomasz
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crashing problems are most likely caused by video drivers.

Therefore, the first thing to try is to update these drivers. Remember, now Magic Engine uses OpenGL, so it would be helpful if your video card has good OpenGL support (it would also probably help if you are using the same or similar video card as David is using).

For the Matrox G200 or G400, I know that Matrox has released new drivers this past October, so I would recommend trying these. However, although I really like Matrox, I have to admit that their OpenGL support has not been exactly terrific... so I can't make any guarantees... eventually I'll pull out my good old G400 and see if it works, but I don't have time for that now.
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's important to recall here that the graphic drivers usually available at windowsupdate.com do NOT have accelerated OpenGL support; yup, they're restricted to software mode (talk about fair competition from M$). You definitely need to get your drivers from the manufacturer of your card.

As a sidenote, I always tend to raise an eyebrow when I hear peeps talking about ME 0.98. The 0.99b5 was released two years and a half ago, and every legitimate user should have switched to this far superior version by now.
InsaneDavid
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked and I'm running the most up to date display driver for my Matrox G200 (at least for Windows 98, XP may have better luck as a more recent driver exists) and I get the same problem. I think Tomasz hit the nail on the head and poor OpenGL support on this older card is to blame. d'oh! Oh well, I need to update the machine in my MAME cabinet soon anyway for better Nebula (Sega Model 2) support - guess ME 1.0 will be a permanent update when that day comes as well.

Kaminari wrote:
As a sidenote, I always tend to raise an eyebrow when I hear peeps talking about ME 0.98. The 0.99b5 was released two years and a half ago, and every legitimate user should have switched to this far superior version by now.

Uh... I can run whatever version of a program I want. Eh? I use Magic Engine on the computer in my MAME cabinet and I don't tinker with the emulators very often since there's no reason to mess with things that work (except updating MAME). v0.9.8 was the one I originally used and it has served me perfectly and met (and exceeded) my TurboDuo emulation needs. Since ME 1.0 has some significant changes in graphics filtering, I planned on replacing v0.9.8 with it, and will do so when I rebuild my arcade cabinet machine after December.

If everyone was so quick to abandon older releases of things since the newer one MUST be better, then no one would care to play PC/Engine games anymore at all. Wink
M1Savage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the newest version driver for my video card which admittedly is old as dirt (4mb Diamond Viper AGP). The only thing I use the computer for is emulators and it runs most of them well (Kawaks,Gens,etc.). I agree that it probably has something to do with OpenGL support. Guess I'll have to stick to the older version of Magic Engine. I was really looking foward to this new version too. Crying or Very sad

The new version does work on my computer at work however.
Tomasz
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is not an ideal solution, but you can get a pretty good video card that will work well with emulators and will provide OpenGL support for only about $100, or maybe less.

For example, I'm sure that the 9600 series from ATI will work well... and would also be good for N64 and PSX emulation, if you are into that.
M1Savage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

I do hope that was supposed to be funny. No way in hell I'd spend $100 on a video card for a $25 dollar computer. Anyway, I've got PLENTY of the actual NEC systems laying about to play the games with. PC Engine emulation should run just fine on this PC because it's already been proven that it can......by every other version of Magic Engine. Smile I'll wait and see if it's fixed in the next version, but if not I'll just use one of the older versions when I want to play using emulation.
Tomasz
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not supposed to be funny, just realistic...
For good basic OpenGL support (that will work well for the new ME), you probably want at least a Radeon 8500-9200 series card from ATI or at least a GeForce 2 series card from nVidia. You probably can even get by with a GeForce 1 or an original Radeon, but those cards are a bit older so driver support won't be as good as for the newer ones.

Many of the cards I mentioned in this post can be bought very cheaply in the used market, through eBay, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Bug/Problem Reports All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: