MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

System Cards and Magic Engine 1.1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LitCandle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: System Cards and Magic Engine 1.1 Reply with quote

hi, I saw the option as soon as you click on "Boot CD" there's a down arrow that you can press that lets you use System Cards instead of Magic System 3.0, and I have 2 questions:

#1. Where do you place System Cards relative to the Magic Engine install directory and what do they have to be named in order to work?

#2. What are the differences between the System Cards (US and J) compared to Magic System 3.0?

#3&4. Can I have a big meat next to my name o_O. Do I belong in space?

LitCandle
bernielindell
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You place the System cards either with your roms, or just in the same folder that ME is in. You dont have to rename them. There is no difference in the Japan version or the US ones. Just since they were in HUE card format, they had to have two different ones for each version due to region.
LitCandle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic Engine doesn't seem to pick it up if I put the System Card I downloaded anywhere (roms, states, patches, same directory as Magic Engine). Oh, that's why, you have to browse for it in the menu. When you click on the down arrow and System Card 3.0 is greyed out you have to click on the hucard icon to the right of it and then you can browse for the System Card, brilliant!

I was also wondering what the differences are between selecting Magic System 3.0 and System Card 3.0?

LitCandle
bernielindell
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LitCandle wrote:
Magic Engine doesn't seem to pick it up if I put the System Card I downloaded anywhere (roms, states, patches, same directory as Magic Engine). Oh, that's why, you have to browse for it in the menu. When you click on the down arrow and System Card 3.0 is greyed out you have to click on the hucard icon to the right of it and then you can browse for the System Card, brilliant!

I was also wondering what the differences are between selecting Magic System 3.0 and System Card 3.0?

LitCandle

Yep, just gotta get to the main menu, and there you will see the files. I am not really sure of the exact difference, but in some games, such as Dragon Slayer, the built in ME system cards dont emulate as well. IE, will freeze a lot. The system cards are exactly what was used to run the DUO, which is why its in ROM format. So, I just use the System Cards. I had trouble with Dungeon Explorer II with ME system cards too.
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Magic System is a reverse-engineered BIOS for people who don't have the original System Cards. As such, it doesn't work as well as the real deal, especially in the audio department. But David is going to improve it eventually. Still, a System Card is highly recommended.

You can put your system ROMs where you want, providing that you edit your config file and point it to the path where you put your System Cards. Example:

Code:
  ;
  ; system card paths
  ; --
  ;

system_card_1="E:\Magic Engine\System Card 1.00 (J).pce"
system_card_2="E:\Magic Engine\System Card 2.01 (U).pce"
system_card_3="E:\Magic Engine\Super System Card 3.00 (J).pce"
system_card_4="E:\Magic Engine\Games Express CD Card (J).pce"

Finally, a few Japanese games don't work with a US System Card (Alshark and Super CD-ROMē Taiken Soft Shū come to mind).
David Shadoff
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaminari wrote:

Finally, a few Japanese games don't work with a US System Card (Alshark and Super CD-ROMē Taiken Soft Shū come to mind).

As I recall, they were:

Alshark (I created a patch for this)
Bonanza Brothers (I created a patch for this)
A.III (I didn't create a patch)

The patches can be found here:
http://pages.interlog.com/~daves/pce_dev/translt.html
Majestic_Lizard
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I know see this is referring to Magic Engine v 1.1 and not v 1.1.3. However what I state below does work.

1. They have to be renamed "SYSCARD1.pce" or "SYSCARD2.pce" or "SYSCARD3.pce"
    2. The references in the ini file must be set to default.
    Quote:

# ----
    # path settings
    # ----

[path]

;
    ; system card paths
    ; --
    ;

system_card_1=
    system_card_2=
    system_card_3=
    system_card_4=

3. These files must be put in the main directory with the pce.exe and pce.ini file.

I just tested this with version 1.1.3.

Using the real system card 2 is the only way Macross 2036 will play correctly.
Altered Beast also needs the real system 1 card.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: