MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Startling Odyssey 2 Project (Its Been Awhile)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Translation Projects
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Looking forward to it?
Yes - Better than Nothing
100%
 100%  [ 18 ]
No - Rather Have a Better Translation
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 18

Validus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wish you guys could release a beta patch with the old font/translation
NightWolve
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EsperKnight wrote:
Hey NightWolve, I wouldn't mind it all if you wanted to do that. Also, that looks really great :D Any possible way I could see how it's done? That would make it a lot easier on the translator working on TMZ.

Yeah, there is actually... If you could get Microsoft Access XP or better installed, you'll have full control of the translation management tool (application/database combo) that I made and have been using for all my projects.

You're a student, eh ? You could get the Office Home and Student 2007 edition from your college's bookstore likely. It'll open the database file, upgrade it and then you can fully examine all the code, functionality, etc. and decide if you wanna use it or update a little VBA code to extract what it has into a format that you can use for tools that you're use to or of your own making.

Quote:
Far as script extraction I haven't had a chance to look at how the games loading it or anything so any help with it I'd appreciate.

My editor/tool has pretty much all strings loaded and accounted for as well as the pointer blocks. Pointer blocks are either a little bit in front of a text block or a little bit after. I just took a little look at the last copy I had before I gave it to Tru and see that I discovered 39 blocks. They are therefore referenced and are updated everytime you use the "fix pointers" feature of my tool.

The whole thing is kind of a hack job and I'd be better explaining it over IM some time. But definitely, if you could get MS Access installed on your PC it would help tremendously. Tru isn't a coder so he's just been using the visual interface I set up AFAIK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tru
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightWolve wrote:
Tru isn't a coder so he's just been using the visual interface I set up AFAIK.

Not a coder, still trying to learn that aspect of it... but I did lose your interface thing a few years back... thought I had it on a disc, but I can't find it anywhere... Hopefully Esper can get a hold of you to get your tool... I think it would be really awesome to have a proper translation for it...

And as much as it pains me, I have done all the work within the iso itself... And then playing through the game on an actual system to find all the parts I may have missed... I have even found some nice side things in this game... so far though, there are only a couple of areas that I need to work on yet as far as getting rid of the japanese text...

I have played through the game quite a few times, and will have to play through a few more times with the new font... as I have noticed that if the text string per line is just one character off, it locks up the game... last thing I want to do is release something that buggy...

imagine playing for 2 hours and running into a problem like that after not saving... In the near future, I may request some testers... The new font is working out quite well and EsperKnight has done a good job at fixing the text... the W is now full, and the lower case letters that drop below the line have also been fixed...

The dialogue is going through some reqorking as well.. since of course, I have more space now with the magic that Esper has done to this project... 1 byte punctuation is quite awesome I might say!

There are still a few quirks in the game that Esper is working on and I do have quite a few more areas in the game to edit with the new font... it is nice going from 18 characters per line to 30 characters per line... Not as many button presses either...

I will update soon with some screenshots of the progress and how nice the game is looking so far...
Validus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tons of free time to be a game tester, email me at

jborjas001@lycos.com
Tru
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Validus wrote:
wish you guys could release a beta patch with the old font/translation

It is going to happen...

-Due to some technical issues with the font hack (not printing when played on a real system), I have been working more on fixing some other aspects of the game with the non text hack version...

I am pleased to say that I found a lot of untranslated segments and have translated those segments. I also came across a few pointer issues that caused the game to freeze and also adjusted those... Fixed some spelling errors as well as grammer errors... and so far, about 50% through playing the game, there is no japanese text... no pointer issues, no major spelling errors (some will get by and will need to be fixed, thus beta testing) and one of the biggest thrills... the storyline is flowing nicely...

I am planning on releasing a beta-alpha patch soon... I am calling it a beta-alpha for a couple of reasons...

In the rom hacking community, using a machine translator to do the translation is not considered a translation, but rather a hack... and over at romhacking.net, someone made a comment about calling a machine translated game an alpha instead of beta or final patch... so all in all, this will only ever be a alpha patch...

The beta part is just as simple... it is a beta of the patch... so it gives us a beta-alpha patch... simple really...

When I do release the patch, I am hoping to get feedback on every aspect... such as how the story line flows, spelling/grammer erros, pointer issues, etc... keep in mind though, that since a machine translator was used, I do not need to hear that the English did not translate correctly as I am well aware of that...

I am hoping to release the patch sometime this week or next...
Validus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEAAAAHHHHHH

THIS IS A DREAM COME TRUE!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Very Happy Very Happy Shocked Shocked Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
Tru
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just goes to show that you shouldn't make an estimated release date, because some things can hinder that... Ran across a few more problems with pointers and spelling, but it really looks like there is no japanese text in the game, with the exception of the cinemas and any pictures as I do not know how to extract the images. If anyone has an idea on how to do that, I will make those changes as well...

With that being said, I apologize for being wrong, but I will release a patch before the end of the month... yes, I know there are only a few days left til then, but it is almost ready...

With the translations skills of Eien Ni Hen and aishsha, I was able to get the back cover translated. I then made the changes to it and that gives us the following back cover:

Due to the shading of the dragon on the back cover, I was unable to erase the japanese text while keeping the quality of the dragon... so the dragon just had to go away...

Enjoy...
M1Savage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see this is still being worked on. Don't worry about estimated release dates as they'll just cause stress and burn you out on the project. Just do what you can, when you want to, and I'm sure things will go great. Looking forward to the results!
Validus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one, cant wait. Thank you so much guys for your effort and support for the Turboduo still.

I will be checking the site daily awaiting the release! AGAIN THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bernielindell
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Validus wrote:
I for one, cant wait. Thank you so much guys for your effort and support for the Turboduo still.

I will be checking the site daily awaiting the release! AGAIN THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That makes two of us then! Laughing
turbofan1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey cool,I cant wait to finally play this game in english.This will be the first significant pc engine translation since Ys 4.To bad I sold off my turbo dou A couple of years ago Sad .I guess I`ll have to play it via emulation.
Validus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow!!! so the patch comes out either today or tommorow>? IM SO PSYCHED
turbofan1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that they translated the back cover,Damn still no patch today.Maybe here in A couple of weeks I hope.
altgifrulez
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job!!! Thank you so much for your hard work!!! this remember me the good ol' days when some self-proclaimed "fan translator" bitch was actually a cool guy not the bitter, rude, crybaby, ridiculous, pathetic, greedy bastard, hanged on the past, in short just a shadow of his own self he is now, the "great", the "unique", the "one and only" the sad and pathetic NIGHTWOLVE... don't get me wrong I REALLY RESPECT THE JOB OF THE GUY but he on the other hand is just a poor asshole who thought he will strike it rich with a fan translation, he even dare to tell on his site (really forgotten and boring like him BTW) that "fans" "cost him" lots of money and try to insult them every day HA!! THE GUY THINKS HE IS PART OF FALCOM OR SOMETHING?? YOU WISH JERK!!! KEEP IT REAL LOSER LET IT GO AND GET A REAL JOB!!! THAT WAS 3 YEARS AGO AND YOU STILL CRY AND EVERYONE ELSE STILLS LAUGH AT YOU, sorry about the offtopic thanks again for your hard work man and please, please don't become like that poor thing nightwolve, congrats on the release of your translation.
Tomaitheous
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

altgifrulez wrote:
Great job!!! Thank you so much for your hard work!!! this remember me the good ol' days when some self-proclaimed "fan translator" bitch was actually a cool guy not the bitter, rude, crybaby, ridiculous, pathetic, greedy bastard, hanged on the past, in short just a shadow of his own self he is now, the "great", the "unique", the "one and only" the sad and pathetic NIGHTWOLVE... don't get me wrong I REALLY RESPECT THE JOB OF THE GUY but he on the other hand is just a poor asshole who thought he will strike it rich with a fan translation, he even dare to tell on his site (really forgotten and boring like him BTW) that "fans" "cost him" lots of money and try to insult them every day HA!! THE GUY THINKS HE IS PART OF FALCOM OR SOMETHING?? YOU WISH JERK!!! KEEP IT REAL LOSER LET IT GO AND GET A REAL JOB!!! THAT WAS 3 YEARS AGO AND YOU STILL CRY AND EVERYONE ELSE STILLS LAUGH AT YOU, sorry about the offtopic thanks again for your hard work man and please, please don't become like that poor thing nightwolve, congrats on the release of your translation.

The only person I see being a little bitch right now is you. Kindly STFU and keep it to yourself or GTFO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Translation Projects All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: