MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

My trial version won't run! (MAC)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Information/Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ensleepent
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: My trial version won't run! (MAC) Reply with quote

I'm running a Power Mac G5 with Mac OS X 10.4.11. I just downloaded the latest trial version of MagicEngine, and when I try to launch it, all it get is:

Initialization error:
Could not open font: "/Library/Fonts/Arial". (No such file or directory)

I looked in my /Library/Fonts directory. It seems to be empty.

I've seen some Mac users on this forum have had similar problems, but I'm pretty new to the Mac (I'm used to playing with Linux PCs), and I didn't really understand the advice that was given.

Would someone please be kind enough to explain this problem to me in idiot language? I'm feeling lost with my first Mac at the moment, but at least I learn fast once I have a clue. Wink

And I've been dying to try MagicEngine. I've heard such good things, and seen such pretty pictures!
Joel Schmidt
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: My trial version won't run! (MAC) Reply with quote

ensleepent wrote:
I'm running a Power Mac G5 with Mac OS X 10.4.11. I just downloaded the latest trial version of MagicEngine, and when I try to launch it, all it get is:

Initialization error:
Could not open font: "/Library/Fonts/Arial". (No such file or directory)

I looked in my /Library/Fonts directory. It seems to be empty.

I've seen some Mac users on this forum have had similar problems, but I'm pretty new to the Mac (I'm used to playing with Linux PCs), and I didn't really understand the advice that was given.

Would someone please be kind enough to explain this problem to me in idiot language? I'm feeling lost with my first Mac at the moment, but at least I learn fast once I have a clue. Wink

And I've been dying to try MagicEngine. I've heard such good things, and seen such pretty pictures!

kurtkwan wrote:
Things seem okay right now. I found the "Arial" in ~/library/fonts and then copied it to /library/fonts, and the app launched normally.

Report stopped here, and I am going try the emu!!

Thanks a lot!!

This is an old bug created by the release of 10.5 Leopard. Apple had changed the way the system handles and locates fonts. I'm going to take a guess that when Dave fixed ME to take advantage of the new OS, he might have forgotten to update the demo version. Follow kurtkwan's fix.
bedouin
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reinstalled MagicEngine after getting a new machine. I'm running Yosemite. I had the same error except on my machine Arial was located in /Library/Fonts/Microsoft/. Rather than duplicate the font, I made a symbolic link to it like this:

sudo ln -s /Library/Fonts/Microsoft/Arial.ttf /Library/Fonts/

Hopefully this is of some use to someone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Information/Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: